Meguiar’s offers everything you need to revive a neglected daily driver and bring it back to your scrupulous standards
Motoring enthusiasts are a mighty fussy bunch who are serious about their cars’ appearance. When it comes to look and presentation, what is considered perfectly acceptable by Mr and Mrs Ordinary keeps the rest of us awake at night. For us, stained wheels, smeared glass, a grotty interior and scratched, swirl-riddled, blemished paint is tantamount to crimes against humanity. Unfortunately when you take ownership of a neglected machine, it’s likely to suffer from all these afflictions and often many others! Fret not, Meguiar’s is here to save the day and undo all that neglect. Show it the love with the broad array of premium-quality and easy-to-use Meguiar’s products, which will bring that new acquisition up to your discerning and scrupulous standards.
Investing a bit of quality time and effort will pay big dividends. You’ll have it looking and smelling as good as new, if not better! While some of the processes will need to be periodically repeated, Meguiar’s simple-to-follow care program and specialised products will save you work by keeping it looking its best for longer!
Before giving these typical problem areas the TLC they deserve, start by meticulously washing the exterior (see Keeping It Looking Good on page 63), including wheels (make sure they’re cold), tyres and glass. Then ensure it’s completely dry before undertaking any of the paint rectification processes. For best results with Meguiar’s compounds, polishes and waxes, work in a cool, dry, low-dust environment, such as your garage. Good lighting is also a must for achieving superior, smile-inducing results; it’s pretty hard to see what you’re doing otherwise.
To keep your treasured Meguiar’s car care products fresh for the next time, store them in a cool, dry area out of direct sunlight. Also be sure to always replace lids and close containers securely.
This feature is only a brief overview of the full Meguiar’s range, as well as the optimal way to get the best possible results. For a full rundown on the extensive car care range, along with a wealth of honest, informative advice and expert hints ’n’ tips, log onto meguiars.com.au.
Polished metal surfaces will dull (oxidise) over time, plus accumulate fine scratches and water staining. Such surfaces can be restored to their former glory via hand polishing with Meguiar’s All Metal Polish. Although primarily intended for polishing wheels, Meguiar’s DynaCone Polisher, in conjunction with All Metal Polish, is a far less labour-intensive process.(*Note: Not suitable for raw surfaces that have not been previously machine buffed.)
An impressively clean interior is such a nice place to be in. Thoroughly vacuum your carpets and cloth trims with a high-suction vacuum cleaner. Use a soft-bristled paint brush or similar (while vacuuming) to dislodge stubborn crud from all those inaccessible crannies. If it’s particularly grubby, go over it with Quik Interior Detailer Wipes first, then reach for the Meguiar’sNatural Shine Protectant Wipes and Carpet & Upholstery Cleaner.
Acrylic headlight lenses are a universal feature of modern cars. Over time UV light attacks the acrylic turning them cloudy and discoloured. Fortunately much of the exterior damage can be remedied using Meguiar’s Headlight Restoration kit, with no tools required. The kit includes everything required to rejuvenate headlights (and any other acrylic lenses) to virtually new, improving appearance and night-time visibility.
Your car may look shiny, however under direct light, a myriad of water marks and fine scratches will typically be revealed which detracts from the finish and overall gloss. As MotorActivebrand ambassador and six-time Summernats Grand Champion Peter Fitzpatrick says, “Paint is the first thing everybody sees.” Which is why you want it looking its best and kept that way. We cover how to correct neglected paint and give it that eye-catching pop that’ll make your ride stand out from the pack.
THE STEP-BY-STEP GUIDE
01) Wheel Polishing Kit is ideal for rejuvenating pre-polished metal surfaces and includes DynaCone, Foam Pad Cleaner and All Metal Polish. The All Metal Polish is ideal for removing oxidation without scratching, either by hand or machine.
02) DynaCone’s unique elastomeric memory foam, allows it to conform to a variety of shapes and is easy to control. Clean away black residue before it dries using a terry towel or microfiber cloth. Included cleaner ensures the pad is ready to go next time.
03) Packed with 3M Scotchguard technology, the convenient-to-use Natural Shine Protectant Wipes will effectively clean, restore and protect all non-fabric surfaces. Use moderate pressure to apply product evenly – which goes on wet before drying to a mildly-gloss, non-greasy finish that does not attract dust. For a full-gloss look, use Hi-Gloss Classic Shine Protectant.
06) Simply spray on the Carpet & Upholstery Cleaner then lightly agitate with a terry towel. As it begins bubbling up, it draws out ingrained grime and removes stains. Dual-mode trigger has narrow stream for spot cleaning and fan spray for broad areas. Ideal for all carpets and cloths, except suede and leather.
07) After around 30 seconds, remove with a light wiping or dabbing motion. Extremely dirty seats and carpets may require multiple terry cloths to complete the job. Deep cleaning cloth seats makes them last longer by removing abrasive material from the fabric.
08) Whole Car Air Re-Fresher Odour Eliminator attacks stubborn odours at the molecular level. The mist charge seeks out those tough odours lurking in the headlining, carpet, A/C ducting, etc and permanently eliminates them.
09) Multi-step headlight correction process starts with sanding the lenses with the kit’s abrasive pads in a cross-hatch pattern – mask off the surrounding area to protect paintwork. Sanding removes the chalky surface, leaving a dull, frosted-looking finish. Polish the lens to an as-new look with PlastX on the supplied microfiber cloth.
11) If you feel roughness (bonded contaminants) when running the back of your hand across the surface, remove these with the Smooth Surface Quik Clay Bar Kit. This will make polishing and waxing easier and longer lasting.
12) Flatten the bar between your palms, lubricate with Quik Detailer and rub in a back ’n’ forth manner. As the clay becomes clogged (i.e. area at top right), fold the dirty side in on itself (to reveal a clean surface) and re-flatten. If you drop the bar on the ground discard it.
13) Close inspection of your vehicle’s paint under direct light typically reveals a myriad of fine scratches, swirls, water marks and blemishes, which can be removed with Ultimate Compound. While this can be accomplished by hand, the easy-to-control DA Power System cuts the manual effort considerably. Dollop the product onto the foam pad and evenly smear it about.
15) With its rotary and lateral movement (Dual Action), the DA Power System is ideal for DIYers as it’s far safer on the edges than a rotary buff, which can easily tear or burn through the paint. It’s also much safer to use around soft items like rubber window seals and plastic trims. Work in easy-to-manage sections and wipe off residue with a microfibre cloth before it dries.
17) Buffing and cutting will make your paint shiny; application of Ultimate Liquid Wax will seal it up and protect it from damaging elements, while adding an even deeper shine. Apply by hand with an applicator or black pad on the DA Power System.
18) For best results wait for the wax to completely dry (overnight if possible in a dust-free environment) before wiping off with microfibre cloth. *Note: Black hand applicator pad and black microfiber towel are supplied with Ultimate Liquid Wax.